Thursday, January 1, 2015

Dearly Departed Tours turns 10 on January 1, 2015

Ten years ago this morning, my watch stopped.  Not metaphorically, it really stopped.  This only happened one other time of note:  The morning I moved back to American from Britain.  I've learned that I have to take that as a good sign.  I have to.

A boozy afternoon/evening in this swimming pool changed my life.



On January 1, 2005 Dearly Departed Tours launched from the front of the Erotic Museum in Hollywood.


The first tours were filled with friends.



Over the past 10 years we've been on tons of television shows, even one featuring us!


One of the most successful television programs on American TV even paid tribute to us!



It's not easy, in fact it's fucking hard to do this.  

When I began there were about 8 Tour Companies on Hollywood Blvd.  Now there are over 45.

We've had amazing clients, and we've met some wonderful celebrities.  

We've co-produced three full-length documentaries.

The Dearly Departed Weekends have been a success and we've raised funds to purchase several grave markers for forgotten stars.

I've made so many great friends and enemies.

There is the UNjoy of dealing with the IRS, LAPD, Beverly Hills PD, vehicle repairs and insurance, insurance, INSURANCE...  If I had known then what I know now, there is no way I would have started this.

But I'm so glad I did.

Dearly Departed Tours has become part of the landscape in Hollywood.

We opened our Shop and Museum in 2012.


We've seen Hollywood Grow
(I'm standing where the W Hotel has been built)


We've had heartbreaks.
(The Ambassador Hotel RIP)


We were voted Best in LA by LA Magazine and the LA WEEKLY.
We are one of the 1000 Places to See Before you Die.


I owe a lot of people a lot of thanks.

My sister and brother-in-law for seeing potential in me and helping me to take this leap.


I thank my colleagues Richard Sebastian Brian Donnelly and Jayne Osborne who see to it that Dearly Departed Tours is always represented by a knowledgable, happy face.


My good friend Kathleen who truly believes in me and is always there for support.


Mostly, I thank my husband, Troy.

It scares me to death to think of life without you.



Bizarre update:  Three hours after I wrote this blog, I got to work.

This is what I found:






8 comments:

  1. Happy Anniversary Scott!! Here's to another 10 years!! B.E.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Anniversary, Scott! It's rare to be able to do what you love, and make it work, but you do it admirably! And here's to many more years of happiness for you and your husband, Troy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy anniversary! took your tours back when you were meeting at a starbucks... loved it! wishing you much success in the next 10! and hope to take another tour this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. HAPPY ANNIVERSARY SCOTT!!! I'VE LOVED YOUR PAGE FOR YEARS AND WILL TAKE THE TOUR AS SOON AS FREDDIE PRINZE SR IS PART OF IT!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats! Happy Anniversary! You've come a long way baby! I am proud to call you my friend. Your nickname from Loyola (University College), STARMAN is perfect for you cause you are truly a "STAR, MAN"!! Love you Starman!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. so awesome scot! Congratulations on all your success you truly deserve it

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations, Scott and may you have many more years of providing intrigue to the masses!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations! I can't wait to finally come out and take the tour! You're the coolest! Congrats and many years of happiness to you and Troy! :)

    ReplyDelete